//The Day Before XLab3.0 Finals
"... a dream that hath no bottom." - Shakespeare
I got up late, as I have been over the past few days. Its not late nights anymore, and I worry it might become a habit. The problem with habits is that they are repetitive in a way that isn't always productive: in a way, it sometimes becomes a barrier to progress. Quite literally, the comfortable lull of procedure dulls out any desire to produce.
Out of bed to the computer, straight away. The funny thing I find is the waking hours are when I get decent ideas. I should keep up the habit of a notepad next to my bed and spending the day working through some of these ideas. I finally get on the case of the thesis trailer: the first part is done, just minor tweaks.
"Once upon a time, a dirty and messy situation was made into a clean and orderly promise." -is this the best narrative? or can you find a poem or lyric that would better suit it?
The studio video is coming out fine. Baptiste has amazing taste and aesthetics. From him I learned even more about qualities, and the rut I fall into trying to logicize things when maybe I'm not the best person to do that. But I also see the pitfalls of getting lost in a program.
Dinner with studio was slightly awkward, and I think I've withdrawn somewhat into my own shell over the past week at home. Part of me thinks I will need that individual space next semester and I will spend the other half of the time walking around alone. I should remember to meet up every once in a while with justus or something though to keep track of things. I also need to maintain a regime for fitness and sanity. Writing in this will be part of that.
Finally watched Inception. Its really cool how its four nested layers, and really is happening in a split second of a split second. Dan has such perspective on movies: its almost as if hes removed from it, understanding it.
Inception makes me wonder: do we need to construct our own redemption. Our memories can become fuel for dreams or glues to hold us back, almost. What is the tale about? is it about confront truth or constructing one. Did he really plant that seed dream in his wife? or is he
On another note, the scary part of the network is the idea of a consensus, or buying into the wisdom of crowds. Where previous consensus might have been an agreement to disagree, could agreement to agree, and subsequent agreement on top of that entirely smooth out the role of the individual? I think I need to read more to better articulate this.
In anycase, connecting this to Inception, it feels like life is the construction and pursuit of a narrative, at the end of that day. Previously this narrative might've been provided by religion, then by tradition and then by... the media now? or is that overhyped. Its looser, anyway.
Outlook on Life:
urbanism, brazil, bartlett.
Possible Goal:
stay floating, IBM
on the trailer:
For the second half, I think it might be a good idea to photoshop the boxes into a landscape. From the french music, it should slowly mute out that box scene zooming into a bridge scene zooming into a tv scene. It needs some movement, and I think thats where yao's library of effects will come in handy. From the bridge scene, it will pan across the bridge. I should see if I can turn off the Yao layer. Pan across bridge, pan up building, zoom out to yao pointing, then zooming into the people overlooking the city. The balloon flies by. this fades to end credits. The end credits will have all the previous content and photos. the background sound comes back to piaf.
As for sound, I will use a robotic voice output. As discussed today, the final dream is still on: a series of renders, printed out on super nice paper, next to it a mini screen playing the associated clip with the background text. Fables. It all has to be original content for it to have an original impact.
For the final, I should have a ton of test photosetc and a series of site plan iterations and 3 detailled sections, chosen from the three.
Parallel research threads: program distribution, organizational relationships, formal investigations and design exercises every other week.
.1) Regular Grid (desert)
2) Box and Axes (archipelago)
3) Green Growth (an outside in the inside)