2011-05-23

>"How heavy is your heart?" 
>>"As heavy as a stone that floats."

BoxViolet under the Bridge (She Jumps like a Jellybean)


Today, thick white clouds muted the bright Los Angeles sun, toning the atmospheric intensity down to a languid lull. It played off nicely against the night prior with Dylan at the Exchange. (note to self: Manda is an awesome chick.)

The Silverlake Jubilee festival played out in this calm. It was filled with beautifully eccentric people. Later on, it was also filled with scenesters. In this crowd, beautiful girls with colourless skin and blister red lips stalked the block with aged boots. Bewitching.

Nattycakes and Lehmen came too. Jonathan looked like a dragqueen: effeminate sunglasses that had a feline-esque silhouette, probably borrowed from his girlfriend,  played off curiously with his very manly frame that a picnic-table red shirt emphasized. I smiled when I saw him plodding in from the distance.

As a souvenir to the day, I donated a 1-minute oral story to ConcreteVoices. I tried to tell a trainspotting story, sharing a spot Dan and I discovered while going on practice adventures. It is a space under a bridge by the train tracks. There, a life-guard chair allows one to perch over a wire fence. The LA river backgrounds this. The height of the chair seat makes it feel like a throne, ruling over a kingdom of debris. The oddity of the situation is delicious: a lifeguard chair, abandoned trailers overgrown with plants, hydroponic tubes, giant water bladders and the odd nature that is the LA river. It is an accidental collage that arranged itself unconsciously, waiting to be interpreted.

I think I should have slowed down and elaborated a bit more on the details when telling the story. I fear my rendition may have been too abstract and fall apart as a string of words without conjuring up a feeling for the atmosphere the space creates. Too much mind-clutter.